Thursday, January 31, 2008

Virtual Worlds You Shared with Me

Maybe schools could do a tame SIMS application. A parent asked me today about her child (age 18) having a My Space. She doesn't want her to and I agreed. I explained why I find Facebook a better idea and told her that future admissions and employment offices may look for her there to get a sense of who she is, so she needs to be careful. It's unfortunate that we don't attempt to teach any of these skills in public school. But then am I the one to be teaching it?! As he was walking down the hall at the end of the day, a second or third grade boy told me where he was going online as soon as he got home yesterday. He gave me the web address, login name, and password without skipping a step and he couldn't wait! It sounded like a Discovery School Network or PBS type place. :-) Cutiepie!

No comments: