Wednesday, December 29, 2010

MacZ Meets Maximillian

I was working on ideas for a venue for an upcoming VSTE meeting when Max instant messaged me to say "Merry Christmas." He asked me what I was working on. Well, said I, "Jan. 10th I have a woman who was born and raised in Mali coming to VSTE to be our '*griot' and tell stories about her homeland and growing up there."
She knows the Virginia curriculum and will keep that in mind. She suggested that making a machinima of this event to share with third grade teachers who cannot attend would be appropriate. I agree! I'm hoping to use this to finally get some elementary friends to try SL. 
Max had some ideas about the venue and soon he was creating the it for me.  I loved this night sky.
 
Having only Internet photos to go by I got MacZ, my griot, herself to come meet Max and make suggestions for the landscape. It turns out Mali looks a lot like Utah! The lady in the Santa outfit is a friend of Max's. MacZ gave me some free brightly colored Mali costumes for us to where.

 *Wikipedia, on December 29, 2010, says a griot is
A griot (English pronunciation: /ˈɡri.oʊ/, French pronunciation: [ɡʁi.o], with a silent t) or jeli (djeli or djéli in French spelling) is a West African historian. The griot delivers history as a poet, praise singer, and wandering musician. The griot is a repository of oral tradition. As such, they are sometimes also called bards. According to Paul Oliver in his book Savannah Syncopators, "Though [the griot] has to know many traditional songs without error, he must also have the ability to extemporize on current events, chance incidents and the passing scene. His wit can be devastating and his knowledge of local history formidable." Although they are popularly known as 'praise singers', griots may also use their vocal expertise for gossip, satire, or political comment.
We left this project incomplete, but we like the redish stony floor with the night sky. We want to remove the lava-like fire and put in a smaller wood fire. I need to add matts and pose balls for sitting comfortably and the rest is up to MacZ!. I will try to find someone who can tape this for machinima better than I can.

No comments: