Monday, June 30, 2008

Remember the Alamo!

I have completed my first official volunteering job in Second Life. I worried about it for a month, practiced for weeks, and, in the end, I "led" one group through the sim. My group consisted of two of my roommates and a good friend whom I've known in Second Life for nearly four months. It was exciting and fun but I don't think I made a contribution. I did grow. In preparation for this I made several friends as I begged people, acquaintances, for practice time on voice. I also learned, at the last minute, how to add gestures to my avatar while speaking. I learned to create a group voice chat. I acquired an outfit which I will virtually burn as soon as I have the energy! I made a few girlfriends who are long time volunteers and/or employees of ISTE that I will continue to get to know and enjoy. Therefore it was all for ME that I participated in this endeavor, not for the good of others. Maybe my growth will translate into help for someone else someday. I hope so! Here is a movie of the event that my friend, Norma, uploaded to her blog. She is an art teacher and was the costume creator. If you look closely you can see both me, near the beginning, and Alfredo, near the end.

No comments: