Wednesday, January 30, 2008

No name calling please

This is an introduction to a project where several ITSE members are creating machinima (movies of computer generated images) to describe how they use SL professionally. Just watch the one on this first page. The idea is that they will show their avatar and their RL (real life) selves. http://knowclue.com/ISTE.html Do this at home. For some reason only the audio comes through at school. A blog by someone who is a member of ISTE in RL and SL (second life). http://www.storyofmysecondlife.com/ I’ve only read a few entries but the photos are very familiar to me. SL is cool! Ideas I’ve had today for using SL if they ever come up with a safe version to use on elementary school servers: (I talked to a woman last night who knows of a project very much like that at Harvard that is just about ready to go.) These are cut out of emails I have sent to a new friend, Kiwi, in SL who will use it to train young adults in another state. No, I don’t know his real name or have his email. The SL server allows us to communicate anonymously. Very cool! He knows me by Thunder (think school spirit!). I just taught kinetic and potential energy to fourth graders, along with friction and inertia. There are some cool places where they can alter roller coasters and then run them. Wouldn't that be a neat use of an elementary SL? [Here I’m thinking actually building the coaster and sitting on it to give it a try. Rebuild. Try again. Objects in SL respond to ordinary forces of nature. It would have to be a lot easier than it is right now to build. I can barely walk across a room without wreaking havoc.] On my way to teach first graders about the four famous Americans they have to know. I'm using three different pieces of software. In an elementary SL we could have avatars for those people in period correct landscapes talk to the kids.

2 comments:

Kiwi said...

Good ideas. There are several virtual worlds available some of which are geared toward the younger set. I haven't looked into them, so I don't know if students can build new things or to what extent teachers could build things such as historical figures. Here's a list of them:

http://vworld.fas.org/bin/view/Main/VirtualWorlds

The Teen grid of Second Life is for the older students (i.e., high school), but the same ideas apply to that age group.

Kiwi

Kiwi said...

Hi,

Here's another list of virtual worlds. This one has a review of the VWs that are listed. This site, however, is not being maintained at the moment. Still you can find some, albeit dated, information.

http://www.virtualworldsreview.com/

Kiwi